Multivehicle crash in Phoenix leaves 1 dead, others injured
PHOENIX — A 21-year-old female has died following a wreck that involved multiple vehicles early Saturday morning, according to the Phoenix Police Department.
Jessica Mendoza was one of seven occupants in a vehicle that failed to stop at a stop sign at 7th Avenue and Baseline Road at about 4 a.m. before making a right turn and colliding with another vehicle, authorities said.
Mendoza, who was in the back seat of the Volkswagen Passat, is not believed to have been using a seatbelt, authorities said.
Impairment is also suspected to be a factor, police said.
A total of three vehicles were involved in the collision and fire Capt. Kenny Overton said those involved ranged in age from 16 to 30 years old.
The only outlier was the 48-year-old male who was the operator of the third vehicle, which was hit by the second vehicle after it collided with the Passat.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix area hourly wage 3% below national average, report says
- Phoenix Fire, mayor making dementia training a priority
- Mayor says she supports Phoenix police chief amid controversy
- Mayor Kate Gallego boosts light rail during state of Phoenix address
- Julian Castro visits Phoenix, touts plan for police reform