18-year-old shoplifting suspect found dead in Casa Grande jail cell
PHOENIX — An 18-year-old shoplifting suspect was found dead in a holding cell in an Arizona city about 50 miles south of Phoenix over the weekend.
The Casa Grande Police Department announced the unidentified teenager was found unresponsive in a detention cell on Saturday.
Officers interviewed and placed him in the cell while awaiting transportation to the Pinal County Adult Detention Center for booking.
They attempted life-saving measures, but the teenager was pronounced dead by emergency medical technicians.
The cause of his death is not immediately known.
The suspect was placed in the cell after his arrest for shoplifting and fraudulent schemes at a Walmart.
Store security identified the man using a receipt found in the parking lot to return an item for cash.
The Pinal County Sheriff Office is investigating.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Viral shoplifting video case wasn’t Phoenix man’s first run-in with police
- St. Vincent de Paul assists asylum seekers through summer initiative
- Mesa man accused of having sex with cat indicted in child sex case
- Valley addiction therapist gets twofold look into opioid crisis
- Arizona awarded federal grant to assist reformed prisoners