Share this story...
Latest News

Amber Alert canceled for girl abducted in Idaho; found unharmed in Arizona

Sandra Rios-Chavez and Miguel Rodriguez-Perez (DPS Photos)

PHOENIX — A teenage girl who authorities said was taken from a restaurant in Idaho has been found safe in Surprise on Monday and her alleged abductor was in custody.

An Amber Alert for Sandra Rios-Chavez, 17, was canceled early Tuesday. She appeared to be unharmed and was waiting to be reunited with her family.

The 18-year-old suspect was taken into custody without further incident, said Sgt. Tim Klarkowski with the Surprise Police Department. They were found near Bell Road and Cotton Lane around 1 a.m., ending a five-hour search.

The Amber Alert had been issued for Rios-Chavez, who authorities said had been abducted by Miguel Rodriguez-Perez from her job at a Wendy’s in Jerome, Idaho, on Sunday.

Arizona Department of Public Safety alert coordinator Trooper Chrystal Moore told KTAR News 92.3 FM that Idaho authorities said Rodriguez-Perez was making his way to Arizona because he had friends here.

Klarkowski said officers became aware of a possible route and located the suspect’s vehicle on Monday. They were in a 2015 black Audi A4 with Idaho license plate number 2J83179.

When officers attempted a traffic stop, the vehicle drove off. It was found abandoned a few minutes later near 187th Avenue and Happy Valley Road.

Officers from several jurisdictions set up a perimeter and searched the area for the young woman and the suspect.

Rodriguez-Perez’s cellphone was pinged in the area of Bell Road and Cotton Lane in Surprise hours later.

The pair were located in that area “hidden underneath bushes/trees,” according to court documents.

According to a tweet from the Arizona Department of Transportation, Rodriguez-Perez’s phone had first been traced to a cell tower near Kingman, alerting law enforcement they were in the state.

Trooper Pedro Pena said Rios-Chavez has a protective order against Rodriguez-Perez, who allegedly has assaulted her and said he wanted to kill her.

Rodriguez-Perez was held on $1 million bond and is scheduled to appear in court next on May 29.

KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Jim Cross and Taylor Kinnerup and The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Show Podcasts and Interviews

Reporter Stories

Related Links