Case dropped against Scottsdale man accused of ‘sex dungeon’ beatings
PHOENIX — The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office said Monday that charges were dropped against the Scottsdale man accused of beating his girlfriend in a “sex dungeon.”
“All I can say at this time is that we filed a motion to dismiss the entire case without prejudice today (which means we can refile),” MCAO spokeswoman Amanda Steele said in an email to KTAR News 92.3 FM.
Police said earlier this month that the victim reported on May 6 that she had been held against her will and assaulted by her boyfriend, 48-year-old Jason Smith, multiple times from February through May.
However, in an interview with Arizona’s Family on Monday, the victim said she consented to the activity and wanted the charges against Smith, whom she loves “to death,” to be dropped.
The woman told Fox 10 that investigators mischaracterized her relationship with Smith, which she called “very normal, and not concerning or violent.” She said Smith never held her against her will.
According to court documents, the victim had told police that she met Smith on a dating app and moved in with him because she had unstable housing.
The victim told police that Smith had a “sex dungeon” with multiple torture devices in his home. She also said he forced her to sign a contract saying he could “use as much force as he wanted against her” or he would kick her out of the home.
The documents said the victim accused Smith of not allowing her to get a job, have any money, enter certain parts of the house or use any personal electronic devices or else she would be beaten.
She told police that she eventually used a hidden key she found to run away, the documents stated.
Smith was arrested on one count each of kidnapping and aggravated assault and held on a $250,000 bond.