Man who died in Arizona jail had pneumonia, authorities say
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Authorities in Arizona say a man who died in January while in custody at the Coconino County jail in Flagstaff suffered from pneumonia caused by strep throat.
The Arizona Daily Sun reported over the weekend that the Coconino County Medical Examiner found that 20-year-old Kyle Martinson had almost 1.5 gallons of fluid putting pressure on his lungs when he died.
Martinson’s relatives questioned whether staff at the jail could have done more to prevent his death.
Jail Commander Matthew Figueroa says authorities take Martinson’s death seriously and are investigating the circumstances of how he died.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Drone makes first flight to help fight northern Arizona wildfire
- Northern Arizona enjoys unusually wet, record-setting May
- One dead after wrong-way collision on Interstate 40 near Flagstaff
- Groundbreaking for state veteran home in Flagstaff set for this weekend
- Bill Montgomery, David Tierney discuss crime in Arizona