Southern Arizona man dies after being stung by swarm of bees
PHOENIX — A man in southern Arizona died Sunday after being stung by a group of bees while attempting to remove a hive from his backyard.
The Yuma County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release that 51-year-old Epigmenio Gonzalez was stung by “numerous bees” that were living inside a couch in the yard.
Gonzalez then ran to his front yard, where he was found covered in bees by first responders. Firefighters sprayed him with water to allow first responders to remove him from the scene.
He was taken to the Yuma Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
A woman at the same home near Stetson Street and Shadow Avenue was also treated at the hospital for numerous stings. Her condition was not immediately known.
Several deputies with the Yuma County Sheriff’s Office and Rural Metro firefighters were also stung, but none required medical attention.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Mom of 2 missing kids with Arizona ties found with new husband
- Advocates: EPA’s new clean-water rules hit Arizona, Southwest hardest
- Health department confirms first case of coronavirus in Arizona
- Gallego discusses challenge of affordable housing in Phoenix
- Mesa unveils brand to highlight Asian businesses in the area