Grand Canyon National Park ranks in top 10 among most-visited parks
PHOENIX — Grand Canyon National Park is known for its beauty.
Apparently very well-known.
According to the National Park Service, the park had a steady influx of visitors as it ranked near the top among visited parks in 2018.
With 6,380,495 people taking in the sights last year, Grand Canyon National Park came in at No. 8 for attendance. There are 418 parks nationwide.
But looking at the 60 national parks around the country, the park came in second only behind Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Up 126,257 from the year before, the park set a new record in 2018.
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, which is in both Nevada and Arizona, also made the list, coming in sixth with 7,578,958.
The top honors belonged to Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which boasted 15,223,697 visitors.
Celebrating its 102nd anniversary, the National Parks Service has seen its recreation numbers continue to grow.
With 318,211,833 visitors tallied in 2018 among all the parks, the National Park Service has seen more than 300 million guests at its parks since 2015.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- 44th Mighty Mud Mania set to return to Scottsdale park
- Couple arrested on a weapons violation near Grand Canyon
- Visitors spent nearly $3.7 million at Casa Grande Ruins, down from 2017
- Arizona’s national parks need more than $500 million in repairs
- Grand Canyon National Park offering free entrance Saturday