Scottsdale Parada del Sol to honor John McCain in salute to heroes
PHOENIX – Scottsdale will pay tribute to the late U.S. Sen. John McCain during Saturday’s Parada del Sol Parade.
McCain was posthumously named an honorary grand marshal, the Scottsdale Progress reported.
His widow, Cindy McCain, was scheduled to appear for the family.
The longtime lawmaker died in August after a yearlong battle with brain cancer.
The free event – this year’s theme is “Arizona’s Heroes” – is celebrating its 66th year. Scottsdale Police officer of the year Aric Manore and firefighter of the year Ned Greenleaf were also named grand marshals.
The parade will be followed by a block party, the Trail’s End Festival, in Old Town.
The parade kicks off at 10 a.m., but entertainment starts an hour earlier. About 20,000 attendees were expected.
Floats, stagecoaches, wagons, riders on horseback, marching bands and more will make their way down Scottsdale Road, starting at Drinkwater Boulevard and ending at Brown Avenue/Indian School Road.
The city traffic page listed the closure of these streets:
- Indian School Road will be closed from Goldwater Boulevard to Drinkwater Boulevard 4 a.m. to noon.
- Scottsdale Road will be closed from Goldwater Boulevard to Camelback Road 4 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Drinkwater Boulevard will be closed from Third Avenue to Scottsdale Road 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Downtown Scottsdale streets from north of Second Street to south of Indian School Road and from east of Marshall Way to west of Brown Avenue will be closed 4 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Stetson Drive will be closed from Drinkwater Boulevard to Civic Center Plaza 4 a.m. to noon.
- Sixth Avenue will be closed from Drinkwater Boulevard to Civic Center Plaza 4 a.m. to noon.
The page also noted the downtown and neighborhood trolleys would be rerouted.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- New steakhouse offers modern dining experience at Scottsdale Waterfront
- Scottsdale ranked as best city to work from home in the nation
- Road rage incident leads to 1 dead in Scottsdale shooting
- Here are the most-read stories on KTAR.com for 2020
- Z’Tejas Southwestern Grill opening new location in Scottsdale next year