Mesa elementary school students sickened after ingesting candy
PHOENIX — A number of students at a Mesa elementary school were sickened Friday after ingesting candy, police said.
Det. Nik Rasheta with the Mesa Police Department said several students at Eisenhower Center for Innovation were suffering symptoms ranging from nausea to dizziness to headaches.
Ken Hall with the Mesa Fire and Medical Department said eight students were evaluated and seven were released to their parents.
One 11-year-old girl was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.
The candy is believed to be from another student, Rasheta said. The candy tested negative for drugs, he added.
According to ABC15, the students ate a “pixie stick” type substance. It was not immediately clear what the substance was.
An investigation is ongoing.