Child killed, 2 injured in rollover wreck on Interstate 17 north of Phoenix
PHOENIX — A 10-year-old girl was killed and two others were injured in a rollover accident on the Interstate 17 far north of Phoenix early Thursday.
The crash occurred on the I-17 near the Sunset Point rest area north of Black Canyon City when a passenger vehicle and tractor trailer collided around 4 a.m.
Trooper Kameron Lee with the Arizona Department of Public Safety said in an email that the male driver and a 14-year-old boy in the passenger vehicle were injured.
The seriousness of the injuries was not immediately known. The truck driver was not injured.
Lee said the crash occurred when the vehicle rolled and was struck by the semi. The cause of the original rollover crash is still under investigation.
The accident closed the southbound lanes of the freeway from the rest area, a popular stopping site about 40 miles north of Phoenix, to Bumble Bee.
The freeway was reopened by 7:30 a.m.
The northbound lanes were not affected.
No other details were immediately available.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Badger Springs Fire near Sunset Point burns over 2,500 acres, 80% contained
- I-10 closed to drivers from south heading into Valley this weekend
- Highway reopens after 2 suspects injured in FBI shooting near Phoenix
- Arizona had most traffic deaths in more than a decade in 2018
- Truck fire forces drivers off westbound Interstate 10 in Tempe