Child, woman killed in multivehicle accident on Phoenix freeway
PHOENIX – A 5-year-old boy and a woman were killed Monday in a chain-reaction car accident on a Phoenix freeway, authorities said.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said a pickup truck rear-ended a sedan carrying 31-year-old Jennifer Vegtel of Phoenix and her son around 6 p.m. on southbound State Route 51 near Highland Avenue.
Their car smashed into another sedan, a blue Volkswagen, which slammed into another truck.
The driver of the first truck, Edgar Ramos-Esteban, 34, remained at the scene and was cited, ABC15 reported.
The driver of the Volkswagen was taken to a hospital. There was no word on his condition.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- DPS trooper injured in collision on State Route 85 in Buckeye
- Wrong-way driver collides with motorcycle rider on Phoenix freeway
- Wrong-way driver leaves 1 dead in Scottsdale after head-on collision
- Grijalva calls for probe of DPS use of tear gas against Native protesters
- FBI offers reward for former Arizona DPS officer charged in $9M fraud case