Meet a pastor and an attorney who are working with refugees in Phoenix
A recent Arizona Republic article had the following headline: “ICE has dropped off 5,000 migrant family members at local churches.”
This caught our interest: ICE is actually dropping off migrants at Valley churches? Really? What is the story here?
Rev. Ken Heintzelman is senior minister at the Shadow Rock United Church of Christ. His church has been taking in ICE drop-offs and is a sanctuary church.
Marisol Angulo is an immigration attorney.
We’ve discussed border issues before, but this time we are interviewing people who have actual current contact with refugees and migrants. Many of their answers are likely to surprise you.
We explore such issues as:
• What sort of documentation to refugees have to present at the border to avoid being turned away?
• What do they have to prove in order to gain permanent refugee status? What proportion are successful?
• How did this church get involved? What were the reactions of church members?
• What, if any, sort of help do these migrants get from the government?
• What is the composition of these migrants: men, women, children?
The Think Tank airs on KTAR News 92.3 FM on Sunday at 1-2 p.m. and repeats at 9-10 p.m.
Podcasts are available after each show is broadcast.