Gunman opens fire in Arizona bar, kills 2, critically injures 2
PHOENIX – Authorities in an Arizona city east of the Phoenix area said a man opened fire in a bar late Sunday, killing two people and critically injuring two others.
A suspect in the shooting at Jammerz in Globe, about 90 miles east of Phoenix, was in custody.
Globe Police Chief Dale Walters said 22-year-old Sterling R. Hunt allegedly shot the victims not long after all of them had been playing pool together.
“This is a very sad day for the city of Globe,” Walters said at a news conference.
Officials said the shooter walked into the bar around 11:30 p.m.
Law enforcement from multiple agencies conducted a manhunt for the suspect and found him on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. He is currently in custody there on unrelated charges.
Authorities said the shooting appeared to be random.
A 22-year-old man and a 44-year-old woman were killed.
The survivors, two 20-year-old women, suffered life-threatening injuries. They were airlifted to Phoenix-area trauma centers, ABC15 reported.
Three of them knew each other. Police said it’s not clear if the suspect was previously known to any of them.
None of the victims have been identified.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- MCSO shoots, kills suspect who allegedly fired at Phoenix firefighters
- Arizona Rep. Lawrence apologizes for comments about minorities, guns
- Phoenix firefighters shot at during break-in attempt at station
- Small plane crashes into side of regional airport building near Phoenix
- Man accused of carrying gun that went off in West Valley Walmart