Phoenix day care under investigation after child chokes on food, dies
PHOENIX — A day care in Phoenix is under investigation after a 2-year-old child died last month after choking on food at the facility.
Sgt. Armando Carbajal with the Phoenix Police Department said officers arrived to the day care in the area of Seventh Street and Bell Road on Oct. 23 to assist an unresponsive child.
The child died the next day, Carbajal said. He added the child’s death is being investigated as a tragic incident and that criminal charges are not being pursued at this time.
“Our staff are trained to manage urgent situations, and followed our emergency procedures,” Tutor Time said in a statement to KTAR News. “After medical assistance was provided on site, first responders took the child to a local hospital for further care. We were later informed that the child passed away.
“No words can express our sorrow. Our thoughts are with the family and we grieve with them. We’re working in close partnership with the relevant state and local agencies as they conduct their review.”
The Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s office is working to determine the child’s cause of death.
Nicole Capone with the Arizona Department of Health Services, which licenses child care facilities in the state, said it is also investigating the incident.