Share this story...
Latest News

Nigeria’s National Assembly office catches fire

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) – Witnesses say a fire broke out at an office in Nigeria’s National Assembly complex for the second time this year.

The fire began Thursday at the complex in Nigeria’s capital Abuja. It was later extinguished. It was not immediately clear if there were any injuries.

The fire did not affect the building where the nation’s House of Representatives and Senate meet.

A fire broke out at the compound Jan. 14. It was blamed on a malfunctioning air conditioner.

Electrical fires are common in Nigeria, as electricity from the state-run power company surges and wanes, unable to provide light to the country of more than 160 million people. Those who can afford it rely on gasoline and diesel generators for power.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)