Man shot in car at Tempe intersection, dies; police search for suspect
PHOENIX — Police in Tempe were searching Tuesday for man suspected of fatally shooting another man as they sat in a car at an intersection.
The unidentified victim died at a hospital from the injuries suffered Monday night.
Sgt. Ron Elcock, a spokesman with the Tempe Police Department, said the suspected shooter had been in the car with the victim at Baseline Road and Priest Drive when the pair got into an argument, which resulted in the shooting. The suspect then ran away afterward, a witness told authorities.
Elcock said police believe they know who the suspect is, but are not releasing their name or description due to the ongoing investigation.
Police believe the incident was isolated and that the victim and suspect knew each other. The witness was also in the car at the time of the shooting.
The intersection near Arizona Mills Mall and Interstate 10 was closed from around 8:30 p.m. until Tuesday around 5 a.m.
No other details were made available. An investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with details about the shooting or the suspect’s whereabouts is encouraged to call the Tempe police non-emergency line at 480-350-8311.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Driver in Tempe car-pedestrian collision charged with manslaughter
- Leaving patio likely saved life of diner during Westgate shooting
- Phoenix-area Alamo Drafthouse movie theaters file for bankruptcy
- Boy shot in Phoenix parking lot hospitalized with critical injuries
- Tempe adding 18 emergency shelter beds for homeless population