Scottsdale firefighters rescue small puppy stuck in chimney
PHOENIX — The Scottsdale Fire Department made an unusual rescue this weekend after a small puppy was found stuck in a chimney chute.
Captain Obie Henney told KTAR News 92.3 FM that the dog, a small, white Pomeranian, was found at the bottom of the chimney flue on Sunday in a home in the area of Miller Road and Oak Street.
The dog had landed in the ash chamber in the basement after crawling through a small access door in the backyard, Henney said.
The approximately 8-inch by 8-inch opening led to the chimney flue, which was made of masonry block construction.
After crawling through the door, the puppy then walked about two feet before falling approximately 10 feet.
First responders were able to use a thermal imaging camera to locate the puppy after hearing wimpering coming from the wall.
Henney said they had to remove a patch of drywall to expose the masonry block construction, then had to use a sledge hammer to break the blocks and create an opening.
The dog was removed from the chimmey after about 15 minutes of work. Henney said he appeared to be in good condition and was not injured.
“Animal rescues usually have positive outcomes, but they’re not always easy,” he said. “But this worked out, it just took a little work.”
KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Kathy Cline contributed to this report.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Scottsdale mansion hits market with potentially record-breaking price tag
- Scottsdale mansion sells for $24.1M, shatters Arizona price record
- Boo and Brew event returns to Scottsdale Quarter for third year
- Holiday Lights at Salt River Fields coming next month
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin West to reopen in Scottsdale mid-October