Tempe shelter offers half-off adoptions on Black Cat Appreciation Day
PHOENIX — In honor of Friday being National Black Cat Appreciation Day, a Tempe shelter is offering half-off adoptions for its black cats and kittens through the weekend.
Vanessa Cornwall with Lost Our Home said black cats will not ruin your life if you adopt one.
“The number one myth about black cats is … they are bad luck. And that is just silly,” she said. “They are just as great as any other cat.
“A recent study conducted at UC Davis actually found that black cats tend to be calmer and more approachable compared to felines of other colors.”
Black cats and kittens are often the last to be adopted from shelters and the first to be euthanized. Cornwall says Lost Our Home — with other shelters — is doing its best to change that.
“Each pet is an individual, with a personality that’s unique,” she said. “Black cats? They are just as lovable as every other cat.”
To find your new black feline companion, Lost Our Home requires a visit, preferably with any other animals the cat will be exposed to.
If all goes well, there is some paperwork and an adoption fee. Through Sunday, adoption fees are $47.50 (usually $95.00) for kittens and $32.50 (normally $65.00) for adult cats.
The adoption fee includes spaying/neutering, a microchip and wellness check at the VCA Animal Hospital.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- 45 dogs and cats needing medical attention seized from Phoenix shelter
- Mesa officials say an animal killed multiple cats, but residents aren’t sure
- Phoenix-area shelters using facial recognition to help return lost pets
- Phoenix-area county shelters have free dog, cat adoptions through July 4
- Maricopa County animal shelter offering free adoptions this weekend