US team due in NKorea in March

Jan 27, 2012, 12:10 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) – U.S. military personnel will travel to North Korea in March to restart efforts to recover thousands of servicemen missing from the 1950-53 Korean War, the Defense Department said Thursday.

The U.S. and North Korean militaries agreed last October to restart recovery operations in what was seen a sign of easing tensions between the wartime enemies, but they did not announce a date.

A letter from Republican Sen. Richard Lugar to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, however, notes that the agreement sets a March 1 start date. His Jan. 17 letter was obtained by The Associated Press.

Maj. Carie Parker, a spokeswoman for the Defense Department’s POW/Missing Personnel Office, confirmed by email Thursday the North’s military will begin preparations March 1 for the arrival later that month of a small U.S. advance team that will evaluate conditions and prepare for operations.

The Dec. 17 death of North Korea’s longtime ruler Kim Jong Il, and the succession of his untested younger son, Kim Jong Un, has led to a pause in U.S.-North Korean talks on its nuclear program and a possible resumption of U.S. food aid.

The Defense Department has described the recovery of war remains as a “stand-alone humanitarian matter not tied to any other issue between the two countries.”

The Pentagon estimates 5,500 U.S. servicemen are unaccounted for on North Korean soil. The administration of President George W. Bush suspended recovery operations in 2005 amid rising tensions with North Korea. The Americans said they were worried about the safety of U.S. recovery teams in the country.

Joint recovery missions began in 1996 and are the only form of U.S.-North Korean military cooperation. The two countries do not have diplomatic relations. The Korean War ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty, so the conflict never formally ended. Some 28,000 American troops remain based in South Korea.

U.S. veterans organizations have long advocated an aggressive U.S. effort to recover remains from the war. Many U.S. war dead were left behind when Chinese forces overran U.S. positions in North Korea in late 1950. Most veterans are now in their 80s, and the chances of any survivors inside North Korea appear slim.

Lugar, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, says that North Korean officials have an extensive set of information and records related to the war and Americans who served.

“Press for the full story about those American service personnel and for the release of any who may remain alive,” he wrote to Panetta.

The Defense Department periodically confirms the identity of missing U.S. service members based on documents and remains previously supplied by North Korea.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Uncategorized

FILE - A sign bearing the company logo is displayed outside a Tesla store in Cherry Creek Mall in D...
Associated Press

US has over 750 complaints of Teslas braking for no reason

DETROIT (AP) — More than 750 Tesla owners have complained to U.S. safety regulators that cars operating on the automaker’s partially automated driving systems have suddenly stopped on roadways for no apparent reason. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration revealed the number in a detailed information request letter to Tesla that was posted Friday on […]
29 days ago
A destroyed window of a house is seen during a military sweep to search for possible remnants of Ru...
Associated Press

Zelenskyy: Retreating Russians leave many mines behind

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy warned his people early Saturday that retreating Russian forces were creating “a complete disaster” outside the capital as they leave mines across “the whole territory,” even around homes and corpses. He issued the warning as the humanitarian crisis in the encircled city of Mariupol deepened, with Russian […]
3 months ago
...
Arizona Department of Gaming

While March brings upsets and buzzer-beaters, it also needs to bring caution

In March, basketball fans around the country glue themselves in front of a television for almost 11 hours for four consecutive days.
3 months ago
Follow @KTAR923...
KTAR.com

Some of the greatest Big Game comebacks in NFL history

The Big Game has brought some of the best and worst comebacks for not only the casual fan, but gambling fans.
5 months ago
...
No Author

Broomhead’s Action Alliance

Sign up to make a difference! Join Broomhead's Action Alliance to learn about upcoming volunteer opportunities where you'll work side by side with Mike Broomhead in service to others.
7 months ago
KTAR.com

Couple residing in Chandler arrested for AHCCCS, pandemic loan fraud

A couple residing in Chandler was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly fraudulently billing the Arizona healthcare system and for fraud in their applications for COVID-19 pandemic-related loans, authorities said.
10 months ago

Sponsored Articles

...
Carla Berg, MHS, Deputy Director, Public Health Services, Arizona Department of Health Services

Vaccines are safe if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

Are you pregnant? Do you have a friend or loved one who’s expecting?
...
Day & Night Air

Tips to lower your energy bill in the Arizona heat

Does your summer electric bill make you groan? Are you looking for effective ways to reduce your bill?
...
Arizona Division of Problem Gambling

Arizona Division of Problem Gambling provides exclusion solution for young sports bettors

Sports betting in Arizona opened a new world to young adults, one where putting down money on games was as easy as sending a text message.