Police: Man held in fatal tire-iron beating of woman
PHOENIX — Phoenix police say a 27-year-old man is in custody in the fatal beating of a woman with a tire iron behind a store in a shopping center.
Sgt. Tommy Thompson said the woman, identified as 26-year-old Minique Gemino, and Luis Madrigal were in a relationship at some point but that it wasn’t clear whether it was still ongoing.
Thompson said police responded to a 911 call from a witness who had found Gemino incapacitated near the area of North 35th Avenue and Bethany Home Road in Phoenix.
Firefighters and officers provided aide, but she succumbed to her injuries.
Officers used a shotgun to fire five stun-bag rounds to force the surrender of Madrigal, who was holding a tire iron and not complying with officer’s orders.
Madrigal was charged with murder and booked into the Maricopa County Jail.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Mesa man gets 13 months in Vegas shooting ammunition case
- 2 killed in separate car accidents on Phoenix streets
- Phoenix police looking for suspect in shooting that injured 4 people
- Phoenix officer charged with sex crimes against women in his custody
- Silver Alert canceled after 53-year-old man found in Phoenix