Northern Arizona city cancels fireworks show citing drought, safety
PHOENIX — Another city in Arizona has shut down planned Fourth of July fireworks, not wanting to run the risk of starting a fire in the ongoing drought conditions.
Prescott Fire Chief Dennis Light canceled the northern Arizona city’s sky-high display that was scheduled for 10 p.m. next Wednesday.
“We have worked closely with event organizer Eagle Events Management, and they are in agreement with this decision,” Light said in a statement.
The city joined Cave Creek, Flagstaff and Williams in scrapping Independence Day-related fireworks displays.
Mayor Greg Mengarelli agreed in a statement that “Safety must always be our first priority.”
The rest of Prescott’s annual celebration will still take place at Mile High Middle School, running from noon to 9 p.m.
Recreation Services Director Joe Baynes said the town would instead use the fireworks during its Octoberfest event, set for Sept. 22.
Cave Creek’s popular event had run for 24 years in a row at Harold’s Corral.
Town officials said forecast of winds and lack of rain factored in the decision. The high in the Phoenix area for the July 3 show was expected to be about 109 degrees with 15 percent humidity. Cave Creek will still host its two-day Independence Day party starting Tuesday.
Flagstaff’s display also was scheduled for July 3 but the city hadn’t bought any fireworks when the show was canceled late last week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.