Natural gas explosion might be to blame for Phoenix church collapse
PHOENIX — A small church in Phoenix collapsed Wednesday night after an explosion likely caused by a natural gas leak broke down the structure.
Capt. Larry Subervi, a spokesman with the Phoenix Fire Department, said officials responded after 7 p.m. to a church in the area of 15th Avenue and Buckeye Road.
Subervi said search dogs confirmed that no one was inside the structure, which was described as “unstable.”
It was not immediately clear, Subervi said, whether the church collapsed after the gas leak or if the collapse caused the gas leak.
An investigation is ongoing. The gas leak was secured.
Several homes in the area were evacuated, but residents were allowed back into their homes before 10 p.m.