Former Phoenix police officer, wife face murder, child abuse charges
PHOENIX — A former Phoenix police officer and his wife have been charged with first-degree murder and child abuse in the death of their 7-year-old daughter.
The Goodyear Police Department said 38-year-old Germayne Cunningham and his 43-year-old wife, Lisa, were indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on one count of first-degree murder and 10 counts of child abuse.
Police records show Sanaa Cunningham was rushed to an urgent care center in February and reportedly had bruises and scratches all over her body.
She later died.
Germayne Cunningham worked for the Phoenix Police Department between 2005 and 2017 before he resigned in September. He was the child’s biological father.
A GoFundMe page for the family raised more than $8,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix City Council approves contract for 2,000 police body cameras
- Uber Eats driver injured in carjacking while picking up order in Phoenix
- Hacienda suspect Nathan Sutherland pleaded not guilty to sex assault
- Suspect in custody in fatal shooting following Phoenix party
- Two Phoenix pedestrians killed in separate incidents over weekend