Former Phoenix police officer, wife face murder, child abuse charges
PHOENIX — A former Phoenix police officer and his wife have been charged with first-degree murder and child abuse in the death of their 7-year-old daughter.
The Goodyear Police Department said 38-year-old Germayne Cunningham and his 43-year-old wife, Lisa, were indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on one count of first-degree murder and 10 counts of child abuse.
Police records show Sanaa Cunningham was rushed to an urgent care center in February and reportedly had bruises and scratches all over her body.
She later died.
Germayne Cunningham worked for the Phoenix Police Department between 2005 and 2017 before he resigned in September. He was the child’s biological father.
A GoFundMe page for the family raised more than $8,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Phoenix police officer lends helping hand to burglary victim
- Police nab 3 suspects in theft of metal band’s guitars during Phoenix stop
- 20-year-old man on motorcycle killed in north Phoenix crash
- Officers in Phoenix fatally shoot suspect after struggle with weapon
- Inmate files complaint against Phoenix police over dog attack