CitySkate in downtown Phoenix earns top recognition from Travel Channel
PHOENIX — CitySkate in downtown Phoenix on Washington Street and 1st Street made the Travel Channel’s list of top outdoor ice rinks in America.
The rink opened on Nov. 25 with a tree lighting ceremony and performances by the Phoenix Symphony, Arizona Opera, and Ahwatukee Foothills Ballet.
Santa will make appearances on Dec. 8, 9, and 17.
CitySkate transforms the downtown Phoenix area into a winter wonderland through Jan. 7, offering skating, art and shopping for the season. The schedule includes either two or three sessions of skating per day, depending on which day you go.
One of the most popular days to visit the rink is Wednesday, when it holds a Skate it Forward program to give back to local charities. Five dollars of every walk-up ticket sale on Wednesday is given to organizations throughout the Valley.
The ice rink also offers skate rental for those who do not have their own skates.
Adjacent to the ice rink and also open through Jan. 7 is the Phoenix Art Museum, which offers daily performances and a pop up art shop.
Other rinks to make the list included New York’s Rockefeller Center, Chicago’s Millennium Park, and Las Vegas’s Boulevard Pool on the roof of The Cosmopolitan hotel.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Buckeye, Oro Valley top list of 20 safest cities in Arizona
- Arizona National Guard unit prepares for deployment to Middle East
- Phoenix woman turns to street drug dealers to cope with pain
- Here are the restaurants participating in Arizona Restaurant Week
- Pedestrian killed in Phoenix when trailer’s back wheels went on sidewalk