Mesa named one of the best places to live on a $50,000 salary
PHOENIX — Money, money, money.
Getting as much of it as possible seems to be many people’s goal in life. However, for those that are fine with a median salary, a great place to live is in the Valley.
Don’t Waste Your Money made a list of the best places where people can live comfortably on a $50,000 salary. Mesa, Arizona, found itself sixth on the list.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the median household income in 2016 was $59,039, not even $2,000 more than the annual average amount of expenses American households face every year of $57,311, said the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Of course, certain cities are more expensive than others. The cost of living in Mesa is relatively cheap to some of those places.
The second-largest city in the Phoenix metro area and the 36th largest city in the nation, Mesa boasts year-round sunshine, an unemployment rate below the national average and dozens of major employers. Add to that the fact that you can live there on less than $50,000 a year and the Mesa is a major contender.
According to the study, the most comfortable city to live in on a $50,000 salary is Billings, Montana.
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey delivers outlook for difficult wildfire season
- Special: Debate over gun violence in schools divides Arizona experts
- Arizona bill helps first responders get compensation, therapy for PTSD
- St. Mary’s high school in Phoenix cancels classes due to alleged threat
- Ballot measure would raise production of clean energy in Arizona