Former volunteer at Chandler church accused of child molestation
CHANDLER, Ariz. — Police said a man who previously was a volunteer worker at a Chandler church has been arrested on allegations of child molestation.
They said 57-year-old James Rhodes volunteered at the Arizona Avenue Baptist Church from 2003 to 2009, working in the sound booth.
Church officials said Rhodes always had candy for the children and would often have kids sit on his lap.
He also participated in Bible study sessions, which usually were held at a church member’s home.
Mesa police arrested Rhodes last month for an unrelated offense.
While Rhodes was in custody at the Maricopa County jail, Chandler police filed seven counts of child molestation charges against him.
Police said Rhodes is accused of molesting a child at the church and another at a home.
- Phoenix-area city ranked best in nation to buy family home
- Come on down! ‘Price is Right Live’ to make stop in Chandler
- Authorities make final arrest in death of Border Patrol agent in Arizona
- Milo Yiannopoulos to make two stops in Arizona on upcoming tour
- Teachers at Chandler day care arrested after posting suggestive video