Chandler student arrested after gun, box of ammo found in backpack
PHOENIX — A 13-year-old Chandler student was arrested at his junior high school on Tuesday after authorities learned he had a revolver and a box of ammunition in his backpack.
The unidentified seventh-grader at Santan Junior High School did not threaten anyone at the school or brandish the gun before he was taken into custody.
The teen was booked into a juvenile detention facility on suspicion of misconduct involving weapons, carrying a concealed weapon and disruption of an educational facility.
The boy got the gun from his house, police said.
Prior to his arrest, the boy was allegedly pushed by another student and then allegedly told a different student that he had a gun in his backpack. That student told a teacher, who then reported it to the school’s safety officer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Manufacturing company completes move into Chandler facility
- Banner Health is building a comprehensive hospital in Chandler
- Chandler 911 operator killed in head-on crash in northern Arizona
- Family launches fundraiser to bring home UA student paralyzed in Spain
- Another portion of I-10 in Phoenix to be closed during June 8 weekend