Son of actor Jean-Claude Van Damme is arrested in Arizona
TEMPE, Ariz. — The 21-year-old son of actor Jean-Claude Van Damme is accused of holding his roommate at knifepoint at their apartment in suburban Phoenix.
Tempe police say Nicholas Van Varenberg was arrested Sunday night on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful imprisonment, marijuana possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.
He didn’t have a lawyer at his initial court appearance where bond was set at $10,000.
Court documents released Tuesday say police went to the apartment after receiving reports about loud noise and yelling.
Police say Van Varenberg became upset at his unidentified roommate for answering the door for police, grabbed a knife and kept his roommate from leaving the apartment.
Van Varenberg is the youngest son of Van Damme, known for his martial arts action films of the 1980s and 1990s.
- Estimated population of squirrel plummets after Arizona wildfire
- Jodi Arias appeal prolonged by transcript errors and omissions
- Camping sold out for Phoenix NASCAR race in November
- Six haunted spots to grab a Halloween bite in the Phoenix area
- Phoenix among US cities that have changed the most in past decade