Police kill Phoenix-area man who moved toward them with gun, knives
PHOENIX — Police shot and killed a man Sunday night who had moved toward them carrying a gun and knives, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The agency said it was investigating after El Mirage Police Department officers were called to an apartment complex near 111th Avenue and U.S. 60 about 10 p.m. after someone reported gunfire.
Police evacuated the apartment complex and made contact with the suspect, 22-year-old Erick Perez.
Officers said Perez — armed with a handgun and at least two knives — began to move toward them. At least one officer opened fire after fearing for his life.
Both MCSO deputies and police officers were wearing body cameras at the time of the shooting. Perez died at the scene.
Perez had served time in prison for several crimes, including arson and a parole violation.
The officer’s name was not released.
MCSO was investigating the shooting.
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Scottsdale woman found safe
- Trump rally, protest in downtown cost Phoenix $450K in overtime pay
- Car chase down Interstate 10 ends south of Phoenix, driver in custody
- Police say Gilbert man killed wife, attempted to cover it up
- Kidnapped Avondale boy found safe, suspect not caught