Police kill Phoenix-area man who moved toward them with gun, knives
PHOENIX — Police shot and killed a man Sunday night who had moved toward them carrying a gun and knives, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The agency said it was investigating after El Mirage Police Department officers were called to an apartment complex near 111th Avenue and U.S. 60 about 10 p.m. after someone reported gunfire.
Police evacuated the apartment complex and made contact with the suspect, 22-year-old Erick Perez.
Officers said Perez — armed with a handgun and at least two knives — began to move toward them. At least one officer opened fire after fearing for his life.
Both MCSO deputies and police officers were wearing body cameras at the time of the shooting. Perez died at the scene.
Perez had served time in prison for several crimes, including arson and a parole violation.
The officer’s name was not released.
MCSO was investigating the shooting.
- Study finds racial bias in Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office traffic stops
- Phoenix police searching for man suspected of stealing wire
- Two Phoenix officers injured after altercation in 7-11 parking lot
- 2 Mesa officers on leave after incident with 15-year-old robbery suspect
- Suspect used anti-LGBTQ slurs before assaulting Phoenix men, police say