Arizona prison authorities investigate inmate death as homicide
PHOENIX — An inmate serving time at a state prison in Tucson has been killed in what authorities said was a suspected homicide.
The Arizona Department of Corrections said 46-year-old Joseph S. Zawacki was killed early Monday morning in a recreation yard at the Arizona State Prison Complex in Tucson.
The department said three suspects had been identified.
Authorities have declined to say how Zawacki was killed.
Officers tried life-saving measures on Zawacki, but he was later pronounced dead.
Zawacki was serving a sentence for convictions from Maricopa County on forgery and armed robbery charges.
- Report: Arizona D-backs home game attendance up by 7 percent this season
- Arizona poverty remains among highest in nation, despite recent gains
- Violent crime in Arizona rose 13% in 2016, while property crime declined
- Arizona is worst state in nation for teacher pay, friendliness, studies find
- High temperatures in Phoenix could reach 90-plus degrees this week