Chandler man rescued after fall at Oak Creek Canyon
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — A Chandler man who was hiking off-trail when he slipped and fell nearly 100 feet off the rim of Oak Creek Canyon near Flagstaff had to be rescued by helicopter.
Authorities said the 23-year-old man was with a group of people who had been camping in the area when he slipped. He fell about 30 feet then rolled and fell another 50 feet.
A Department of Public Safety helicopter and crew spotted the man and helped rescue him by dropping a “long line” from the chopper. A Coconino County Sheriff’s sergeant helped get the man back to safety.
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights
- Two Fry’s employees in Arizona help customer avoid SRP scam
- Arizonans need to make $107K to be considered ‘rich,’ study finds
- U2 returns to Arizona for 30th anniversary ‘Joshua Tree’ concert