Debating Arizona’s new school vouchers law
The Arizona Legislature has passed a law that would greatly expand the use of vouchers that parents can use to put their kids in private schools.
Save Our Schools sees this as taking resources from our already underfunded public schools. They are a grassroots organization that is has just filed over 111,000 signatures to repeal this law.
Dawn Penich-Thatcher is chief spokeswoman for the group.
The chief sponsor of that law is state Sen. Debbie Lesko. When we tried to book Lesko for this show, she deferred to Kim Martinez, Arizona communications director for the American Federation for Children.
After letting these two opine on the merits of expanded school vouchers, we discuss what we have heard with Paul Benz, a political consultant who has tracked the education issue in Arizona for years.
Arizona open and hiring: If you’re looking for job openings, visit ktar.com/arizonahiring.
The Think Tank
- Think Tank discusses voting rights, taxes in Arizona
- Katie Hobbs remains firm on criticism of election audit in Maricopa County
- Bitterly divided Arizona House panel OKs school voucher bill
- Teachers say kids are learning remotely, despite claims from critics
- Think Tank discusses dying, laughing and pondering