Arizona governor finally names new social services agency director
PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has named a new director for the state’s massive social services agency after allowing an interim boss to run the Department of Economic Security for six months.
Ducey named Department of Housing Director Michael Trailor to head the agency on Wednesday. He’s replacing interim director Henry Darwin, who took over when Ducey fired Tim Jeffries in November. Darwin returns to his job as Ducey’s chief operations officer.
Jeffries was fired after controversies that included allegedly hosting a party with alcohol for workers who gave up civil service protections and mass firings at the agency.
Trailor has run the housing department since 2010 and previously worked as a developer.
DES is the state’s largest agency and employs over 7,000 people overseeing programs like unemployment insurance and food stamps.
- Three Arizona comic book stores among top 20 in nation
- Tempe Municipal Court judge arrested for allegedly stabbing wife 10 times
- Phoenix-area mayors ready to join forces to land Amazon headquarters
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Book tells stories of retired numbers of Arizona high school athletes