Former Arizona police officer gets 5 years in prison for smuggling marijuana
PHOENIX — A former southern Arizona police officer was sentenced to five years in prison Wednesday for smuggling more than 220 pounds of marijuana.
Former Douglas Police Sgt. Theodore Kulkens was arrested in December for transporting 224 pounds of the drug from Douglas to Tucson.
His arrest came less than one month after he was sentenced to probation on an unrelated theft charge.
Kulkens pleaded guilty to one charge of transportation of marijuana for sale. His probation was revoked and he will serve concurrent jail time.
He also owes $14,991 in restitution to the Douglas Police Department.
- Study finds racial bias in Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office traffic stops
- Phoenix police searching for man suspected of stealing wire
- Two Phoenix officers injured after altercation in 7-11 parking lot
- 2 Mesa officers on leave after incident with 15-year-old robbery suspect
- Suspect used anti-LGBTQ slurs before assaulting Phoenix men, police say