KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — A sheriff’s deputy fatally shot a drunk driving suspect who allegedly fled a traffic stop and tried to fight him in central Florida.
Osceola County Sheriff’s officials say a deputy responded to the Florida Turnpike on Saturday night after reports of a possible drunk driver. He stopped the vehicle, but authorities say 37-year-old Carlos Garcia Petrovich was not cooperative and fled. The deputy caught up with Petrovich at a gas station and tried to place him under arrest. Authorities say Petrovich fled on foot and became violent.
According to a news release, the deputy shot Petrovich who was pronounced dead at the scene. The deputy was not identified.
The deputy was treated at a local hospital and later released. State law enforcement officials are investigating.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Trump rally, protest in downtown cost Phoenix $450K in overtime pay
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump