PHOENIX — After a weekslong national search, the Gilbert Police Department found its new chief right next door.
Michael Soelberg, assistant chief of Mesa Police, was named to the post Friday.
Soelberg will fill the vacancy created when Tim Dorn retired in March after 41 years on the force.
Commander Randy Brice has served as interim chief.
Soelberg joined the Mesa department in 1995 but is no stranger to his new East Valley surroundings.
“I have lived in Gilbert for over 21 years,” he said in a statement. “I have seen Gilbert grow from a small community to a large thriving community. … As Gilbert continues to grow, we need to ensure that the police department keeps up with this growth.”
He takes office June 5.
- New Gilbert police chief lays out goals for time in office
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix nonprofit offers free job-training program
- Main Street Minute: Electrical contractor hosting job fair in Tempe
- Arizona native to appear on ‘Superhuman’ TV show
- Main Street Minute: 2 coffee shops open in Phoenix, Mesa