She’s fresh off her first Academy Award win, but it looks like Arizona native Emma Stone is already working on earning her second Oscar.
The actress was set to play Billie Jean King in the upcoming film “Battle of the Sexes,” which would tell the story of the legendary tennis match between King and Bobby Riggs — played by Steve Carell.
Stone dropped her signature red locks for King’s dark curls. The actress also donned a pair of rounded glasses to complete the look.
For those who are unaware, the Battle of the Sexes King-Riggs tennis match took place in 1973. What was the first contest between male and female champions — Riggs, a known hustler, had come out of retirement and had already defeated top-ranked Margaret Court — sparked a global conversation on gender equality and was a spark of the feminist movement.
The film is scheduled to be released Sept. 22.
Stone won an Oscar earlier this year for her role in “La La Land.”
The 28-year-old has had a successful film career already. She won a Golden Globe Award for the same performance in “La La Land” and has been nominated for two Oscars.
Stone was born and raised in Scottsdale and pursued acting throughout her time in the Valley. She attended Xavier College Preparatory, an all-female private high school in Phoenix before dropping out at 15 and moving to Los Angeles with her mother.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Emma Stone sends corsage, boutonniere to Phoenix teen who asked her to prom
- Two women with Arizona ties make Time’s 100 most influential people of year list
- First trailer for ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ released, internet freaks out
- Thor and Hulk square off in epic ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ trailer
- Phoenix teen hears back from Emma Stone on prom date invite