RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Authorities say a man fatally shot by police during a traffic stop in Virginia was wanted on an attempted-murder charge and for other crimes.
The department said in a statement Tuesday that 29-year-old Jaison Fitzgerald shot a relative of a female companion Monday prior to being pulled over by officers.
Police Chief Alfred Durham said at a news conference Monday that Fitzgerald was shot by an officer and died at a hospital. Investigators say a weapon was recovered at the scene, but offered no other details on the shooting. They say the officer was not wearing a body camera.
The officer is on customary administrative leave. Police say the officer is black, as was Fitzgerald.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Silver Alert canceled after missing Scottsdale woman found safe
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action