MAYBROOK, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a man suspected of shooting a village police chief in the shoulder was shot and killed by another officer.
Orange County District Attorney David Hoovler says 28-year-old Anthony Bostick was killed by a police officer in a shooting that appears justified.
Officials say Chief Arnold “Butch” Amthor was wounded around 9:20 a.m. Tuesday in the village of Maybrook, 55 miles (88 kilometers) north of New York City. Amthor and four other officers had gone to Bostick’s third-floor apartment to investigate a reported domestic dispute.
Police surrounded the home for several hours after the shooting before going in and finding the suspect dead and nobody else in the house.
Amthor is the police chief of Maybrook and the neighboring town of Montgomery.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood