GENEVA, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say an inmate who took nurses hostage at a suburban Chicago hospital was being treated for eating plastic off a jail uniform sandal.
Police fatally shot Tywon M. Salters Saturday during the standoff at Delnor Hospital in Geneva. Kane County Coroner Rob Russell said Monday that the preliminary cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the head.
Salters had been a Kane County Jail inmate since April 11. He was hospitalized May 8. Doctors surgically removed the plastic from his stomach.
Authorities say Salters managed to take a correctional officer’s gun and took a nurse hostage, then released that nurse and took a different nurse hostage.
Negotiators tried to reason with Salters by phone, but were unsuccessful.
Authorities are investigating how Salters got hold of the gun.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights