WEDGEFIELD, S.C. (AP) — A South Carolina woman has been arrested after authorities say she set her house on fire and barricaded her family inside.
The State reports (http://bit.ly/2r7GBTm ) 67-year-old Willie Mae McQuilla was arrested Saturday and charged with one count of arson and three counts of attempted murder.
The Sumter County Sheriff’s Office said in a news release that McQuilla admitted to setting the house on fire when deputies stopped to question her as firefighters headed to her house. Authorities say multiple people identified McQuilla as the suspect.
The news release says the family members were able to escape without injury. The Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire.
It’s unclear if McQuilla has an attorney.
Information from: The State, http://www.thestate.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights