ATLANTA (AP) — An 8-year-old Atlanta girl is recovering after being shot in the leg as she played outside.
News outlets report that Atlanta police say a man fired twice into a crowd from his car on Wednesday night, hitting Jimaya Poythress, who was playing outside with cousins and friends. Police say they believe the gunman was targeting a woman who had borrowed his car. He drove away after the shooting.
Poythress was alert as she was taken to Children’s Hospital of Atlanta, where she had surgery to remove the bullet from her leg.
Police interviewed the woman who they believe was targeted. She gave them the man’s name, but police have not released his identity.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Georgia man is accused of harassing a judge in Phoenix
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action