ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a sports utility vehicle struck and killed a 73-year-old man who was pushing his mother in a wheelchair across a road in Florida.
The Florida Highway Patrol said in a news release that the driver, 58-year-old James Essad, swerved to try to avoid hitting Jose Matos Vargas about 5:30 Thursday morning in Orlando. Essad had a green light and the right of way.
The mother, whose name and age wasn’t available, wasn’t injured. The SUV didn’t hit the wheelchair.
Vargas was taken to a hospital, where he died.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Frontier Airlines to start offering flights between Phoenix, Orlando