CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) — Three University of Illinois football players have been arrested for allegedly robbing a man of cash in a residence hall.
Police told the Champaign News-Gazette (http://bit.ly/2r2e8KT) that Darta Lee, Zarrian Holcombe and Howard Watkins will be formally charged Thursday.
Coach Lovie Smith has issued a statement saying they are suspended from team activities.
Police say the three entered an apartment early Wednesday with masks on. When the victim pulled one mask off, one suspect pulled out what apparently was a fake gun and demanded cash. The trio left with an undisclosed amount of cash.
Lee played in six games last season as an offensive lineman. Holcombe played in seven games mainly on special teams. Watkins joined the team with the 2017 recruiting class and participated in spring practices.
Information from: The News-Gazette, http://www.news-gazette.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Car jumps curb in Glendale, fatally strikes bicyclist
- Arizona tourism office, Chicago Cubs team up to bring Chicagoans to Valley
- Judge decides Arizona doesn’t have to reveal execution-drugs source