Share this story...
Latest News

The Latest: Serial killer suspect documents kept secret

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri L. Williams announces, Monday, May 8, 2017, in Phoenix, the arrest of 23-year-old Aaron Saucedo in connection with the serial street shootings that terrorized the Phoenix area over four months in 2016. (AP Photo/Matt York)

PHOENIX (AP) — The Latest on an arrest in a series of shooting in Phoenix (all times local):

11:20 a.m.

A prosecutor says some information about the arrest of a Phoenix man accused in a series of fatal shootings is being withheld from the public because the case remains under investigation.

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery’s office obtained a court order sealing records related to the initial court appearance of 23-year-old Aaron Juan Saucedo in the case dubbed the Serial Street Shooter.

Saucedo appeared in court late Monday night and a judge ordered him held without bail.

Documents are typically filed in court explaining why suspects have been arrested after they make their first court appearance.

Saucedo was already in custody and charged with one homicide when police arrested him Monday in eight more killings in the serial shootings case.

___

10:42 a.m.

A 23-year-old Phoenix man arrested in a series of shootings in which nine people were killed is proclaiming his innocence.

Aaron Juan Saucedo said “I’m innocent” during a brief initial court appearance. The judge said Saucedo faces eight counts of first-degree murder and multiple counts of other crimes.

The former bus driver’s only other comment was to acknowledge that he understood the purpose of the court appearance late Monday night.

The judge agreed with a prosecutor that Saucedo should be held without bond.

Records related to the initial court appearance remain sealed at the prosecution’s request.

The case has been dubbed the Serial Street Shooter. A shooter stalked victims after dark and gunned them down as they stood outside their homes or sat in their cars.

___

8:58 a.m.

The 23-year-old Phoenix man arrested in a series of shootings in which nine people were killed has appeared in court, but records from that overnight appearance have been temporarily sealed by a judge at the request of prosecutors.

Court spokeswoman Karen Arra says no information is immediately available on why prosecutors requested the sealing of Aaron Juan Saucedo’s court appearance late Monday night. Maricopa County Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Amanda Jacinto says she couldn’t immediately provide any information.

Police announced Monday that Saucedo had been arrested in the case dubbed the Serial Street Shooter. A shooter stalked victims after dark and gunned them down as they stood outside their homes or sat in their cars.

Police credited tips for helping breaking the case but provided scant details about the suspect’s motivation.

___

9:10 p.m.

For more than a year, Phoenix police were stumped by a string of killings in which a shooter stalked victims after dark and gunned them down as they stood outside their homes or sat in their cars.

Nine people were killed in all in a case dubbed the Serial Street Shooter.

Police fielded thousands of tips, went door-to-door in a largely Hispanic neighborhood of Phoenix where the shootings happened and analyzed ballistics from a different, unrelated serial shooting case.

On Monday, they announced they had arrested Aaron Juan Saucedo, 23, a former city bus driver, in the killings while providing scant detail about what motivated him or details about how they made a break in the case, other than to credit tips.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Links