DETROIT (AP) — The discovery of old military artillery in a church garage in Detroit has led to the temporary evacuation of students at a nearby school.
A police bomb squad was called Monday morning to the garage near Gesu Catholic School on the city’s west side after the projectiles were found by a maintenance man cleaning out the garage.
Officer Jennifer Moreno said the inactive ammunition appeared to be from the Vietnam War era.
She says the garage’s contents had not been carefully checked in about 30 years.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95