Grandmother, 72, graduates from Tennessee State University
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Fifty-five years after she cut short her college education when she fell in love, Darlene Mullins has finally graduated.
Tennessee State University says Mullins, a 72-year-old grandmother of four, participated in the school’s undergraduate commencement ceremony Saturday.
Mullins was a TSU student and a budding track star in 1962 when she met John Mullins. A courtship developed, and they married. John graduated in 1964.
Mullins moved from college student to caring for their home and raising a family. They lived in several states and had two children, but she yearned for a college degree.
In 2013, she went back to TSU to pursue a degree in interdisciplinary studies. She graduated summa cum laude.
Mullins says she’s happy to graduate: “I just knew I had to do it.”
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- One dead in Tennessee church shooting, 7 more wounded
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Campus museum honors Colangelo, ‘godfather’ of Phoenix pro sports
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action