WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania woman who police say drove around with her newborn daughter’s body has been jailed on abuse of a corpse and other charges.
Old Lycoming Township police say 37-year-old Chesney Anne Wheeler gave birth at home near Williamsport on April 12, then kept the child’s body in a cardboard box in her car until it was found the next day outside a hospital.
Police say Wheeler told them she drove to an out-of-town hospital because she feared doctors would find out she had used crack cocaine and heroin the night before her daughter was born 2 ½ months premature.
Police say an autopsy couldn’t determine if the baby was born alive.
Online court records don’t list an attorney for Wheeler. She remained jailed Wednesday and faces a May 10 preliminary hearing.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95