DALLAS (AP) — Investigators say an Austin police officer who allegedly tried to fake his own death and flee to Mexico has been arrested at a Texas airport.
Officer Coleman Martin was arrested Wednesday at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Austin police Chief Brian Manley said in a statement that Martin arrived from Colombia. Police did not elaborate on what Martin was doing in Colombia or why he came back to Texas.
Manley says officers brought Martin to Austin. Martin’s charged with misdemeanor false alarm or report. He’s on restricted duty pending investigation.
The 29-year-old was reported missing April 25 by his wife. An affidavit says Martin texted her about plans to drown himself.
A different woman later reported getting an email from Martin about staging his death at Lake Amistad, on the border with Mexico.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Car jumps curb in Glendale, fatally strikes bicyclist
- Judge decides Arizona doesn’t have to reveal execution-drugs source
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95