BALTIMORE (AP) — Police in Maryland say two people have been sickened after opening a package that they received in the mail.
Frederick Police Lt. Clark Pennington says the two went to a hospital for treatment and brought the package with them, and the hospital was considered a hazmat scene.
Pennington says when the people opened the package about noon Tuesday, they began to feel burning and had difficulty breathing.
Pennington says they took the package to Frederick Memorial Hospital. Decontamination tents were set up outside the emergency room.
Hospital, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin says by phone that operations were back to normal Tuesday afternoon, except for a small area of the emergency department. She says no hospital staff were hurt.
Pennington says preliminary tests indicate the substance was a household cleaning product.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95